Welcome to our special feature on the Justice for Cardon Campaign. If you are homeless, click here.
CARDON CITY COUNCIL REPORT – LOCAL & NATIONAL NEWS COVERAGE:
Justice for Cardon has been going for over a year and a half now, and has made great progress. Through Freedom of Information Requests, we have managed to uncover the lies which have been told and the unsafe decisions made in the run up to his body being discovered, and subsequent identification.
Below is the archived day-by-updates of the Justice for Cardon campaign from the first few days of launching it and the history of the services that worked with Cardon when he was alive.
Why is #JusticeForCardon so important?
Cardon Banfield was a 74 year old gentleman from St. Vincent and the Grenadines who died on the banks of the River Severn in Worcester and was left to rot, decompose and smell in the summer of 2016 before someone from the nearby Cricket Club discovered him. No service was good enough to pick him up, and the CEO of Maggs Day Centre says no responsibility can be on her even though Maggs knew of Cardon at the time before his death, but didn’t pass this information on. One or more people have to be accountable and that is the purpose of this Campaign.
The investigation should cover the systematic failures by the Local Authority’s Housing Department like cutting the comprehensive Outreach Team 3 months prior to Cardon’s body being discovered. The investigation should ask CCP to justify why their Outreach Team did not find Cardon and probe Maggs Day Centre into revealing why they didn’t share information about Cardon when he visited the Centre before his death.
Below are different sections of this Campaign including live updates, the Campaign history and information about the agencies involved.
Archived Updates day-by-day:
Friday 23rd December: Councillor Alan Feeney (Shadow Cabinet Member for Housing) from Worcester City Council states he fully supports the creation of the Homeless Forum. Councillor Feeney states that an investigation into Cardon’s death should take place, appealing through the Local Government Ombudsman instead of the Safeguarding Board again.
David Blake of Worcester City Council replies back to the email Hugo Sugg sent him in relation to the Homeless Forum and Cardon’s death investigation.
- READ: FULL EMAIL TO NINA WARRINGTON’S MANAGER
(Open new window)
- Thursday 22nd December: Worcester MP Robin Walker states that he understands why the Safeguarding Board rejected the SAR into Cardon’s death and pushes for the new Homeless Forum to investigate what lessons can be learnt. Mr Walker also lends his full support to the Homeless Forum and welcomes the partnership between the Campaign and St. Paul’s. Ex-Worcester MP Mike Foster gets involved with the #JusticeForCardon Campaign, asking both City and County Council for answers around the death of Cardon Banfield. Hugo’s Earthquake Campaign against City Council about Homeless Forum is at a lesser level, as agreed.
- Wednesday 21st December: Worcester Observer have received a thorough update to the #JusticeForCardon Campaign. David Blake (Director of Place, Worcester City Council) has responded back to an email which highlighted faults and issues. Full response expected by the end of the week after he has met with his team. St Paul’s Hostel CEO Jonathan Sutton and Hugo Sugg from Hugo’s Earthquake agree a partnership to set up the Homeless Forum, to relieve pressure from Worcester City Council. This partnership was agreed on the principle that Hugo’s Earthquake would “tone down” the Campaign against the Council for the Homeless Forum with immediate effect.
CONFIRMED: WORCESTER HOMELESS FORUM TO GET GO-AHEAD IN JANUARY 2017, BOTH HUGO’S EARTHQUAKE AND ST. PAUL’S HOSTEL WORKING IN PARTNERSHIP.
- Tuesday 20th December: Hugo met with CEO of St. Paul’s Hostel in Worcester Jonathan Sutton to gain advice and guidance on Review rejection. Petition has gained more signatures whilst appeal detail is formed and media have been informed. Email sent to Director of Place at Worcester City Council, David Blake, highlighting issues with the Council.
- Monday 19th December: Hugo Sugg is told by Worcestershire Safeguarding Adults Board that they would NOT be reviewing the death of Cardon Banfield.
Petition is launched by Hugo’s Earthquake for the public to sign. This is to help get a reversal on the decision not to investigate his death. A huge Campaign is launched to get the public to take note.
#JusticeForCardon Campaign history:
Worcester City Council are spending £500,000 of taxpayers money on a homeless service that isn’t fit for purpose, is a badly written contract* and in the balance of probability can be attributed to the death of a 74 year old man, Mr Cardon Banfield, who passed and rotted away in a tent by the River Severn in Worcester. Mr Banfield’s body lay there for so long he was decomposing before anyone found him.
Whilst alive, Maggs Day Centre didn’t share information about Mr Banfield which meant no service knew about his location nor could support him.
The Worcester City Council-funded CCP service (which the taxpayer pays £240,000 a year for) should have found Cardon’s body. Help get Justice for Cardon, hold the right people accountable and stop another tent death happening on our streets again.
*CCP nor any officer in CCP are responsible for Mr Banfield’s death, however they are accountable as to why they did not know of Mr Banfield in the 2/3 months before his death. Worcester City Council are potentially responsible for the reason he was left to rot by association as a result of removal of their previous comprehensive Outreach Service.
Campaign timeline before Review submitted:
- #TentDeath Update: FOI Request to @myworcester to look over @CCProjects / @CCPWorcs Contract.
- #TentDeath Campaign: A word from #HugosEarthquake Founder @HugoSugg.
- Day 3, 11.35am: Labour Party in charge of Worcester City Council is first to break silence.
- #TentDeath: Update Day 3, 11am
- #TentDeath Campaign: Day 2 Evening Update
- #TentDeath Campaign: The questions we want answering.
- #TentDeath Campaign: CALLING ON WORCESTER CITY COUNCIL AND CCP TO JUSITIFY MR BANFIELD’S DEATH.
For all #TentDeath Campaign Tweets, click here (we accept no responsibility for contents of Tweets other than from the official @HugosEarthquake account).
Thank you for your continued support of this Campaign and Hugo’s Earthquake as a whole. Please share our website and Campaign blogs on social media.
If you are on a mobile/tablet, press the ‘+’ in top left hand corner to see more. If you are kind enough to share any content from the Campaign, please do use the supporters hashtag: #JusticeForCardon and #TentDeath.
Founder of Hugo’s Earthquake and Justice For Cardon